Governor Dannel P. Malloy |   Search

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a state marshal?

State marshals are appointed to work as independent contractors, as well as public officers with the status of peace officers, to make service of process in civil judicial and administrative proceedings and to do legal executions. State marshals are appointed by county and work within their county unless authorized by law to go to other counties, or to work statewide.

State marshals are not state employees.  State marshals are individuals engaged in the profession of performing critical functions necessary to the fair, efficient and effective administration of the judicial and administrative law system and the enforcement of judgments, and orders.  State marshals are an essential part of implementing the constitutional rights of individuals to access to courts and due remedies.

What do state marshals do?

State marshals are hired directly by citizens, attorneys, the state, businesses, or others who need to give notice to others of civil court proceedings, such as court and small claims actions, subpoenas, family court orders, or administrative proceedings, or other areas where civil process is needed.  State marshals are also hired to enforce the collection of judgments, or other court or administrative orders, in which money needs to be collected or property claimed.  Such actions include wage, bank and property executions, evictions and tax warrants.

State marshals are also assigned to courthouses throughout the state at specific times to accept restraining orders issued by the court in domestic matters.  State marshals are also empowered to execute civil capias warrants to take into custody individuals in child support matters.

For general information on civil proceedings, such as court forms, publications on small claims and landlord/tenant matters, as well as a directory of state marshals see the Judicial Branch web site at  On the Judicial Branch's web site go to directories, then state marshals then click on the relevant county.

How do I hire a state marshal?

State marshals are authorized by the state to do certain work. One hires them directly, much as one would hire an electrician or an attorney.  Names, addresses and telephone numbers are listed on this website or the Judicial Branch web site, or are available from the State Marshal Commission.  Generally, you need to determine the town or city of the person or entity you want served and contact a state marshal for the county that contains that town or city.

How is a state marshal paid?

State statutes set the framework for fees for hiring state marshals.  In general, there are fees for the service of civil process, signature endorsements, travel, copies, or other items authorized by statute.  In executions to collect money or property the fees are set at 15% of sums collected.  If you hire a state marshal you are responsible for paying the state marshal.  However, the Judicial Branch issues fee waivers in restraining order matters and can also grant fee waivers based on indigence.  Discuss the fee with the state marshal when you contact him or her to do work for you.

Is there a complaint process?

If you have a complaint involving a state marshal, the State Marshal Commission has jurisdiction over such matters.  Information on the process and a complaint form can be obtained by contacting this office.

What do I do if I have a restraining order that needs to be served out of state?

You can contact the offices of the State Marshal Commission to obtain a contact number in other jurisdictions.

If I have been evicted and am looking for my property who do I contact?

A state marshal, who is hired by the landlord, takes your property out of the premises and brings the property to a storage facility selected by the town or city in which the property was located  The statutes set a 15-day holding period for the town or city. The number of the storage area will be supplied by the state marshal.

Share Website Feedback
Hit Counter 38,446